When attempting to add users to a Sharepoint 2010 site I found I could not find domain users, only local ones. After 3 hours of goofing around, this is what I found.
I was getting the following:
Requested Registry access is not allowed.
Correlation ID: 39aea029-6545-417d-9534-8b8bcbc892aa
Date and Time: 12/6/2010 11:40:12 AM”
and the Event Viewer shows only
Requested registry access is not allowed
Source: Sharepoint Foundation
Sooooo, below are the answers I found:
- My specific problem was that I had set the IIS Application Pool for the site in question to a local account. I did this to solve a differnet problem. However, that Web Application / Site Collection site can not see the corporate domain unless the App Pool that runs it uses a domain account:
- Go to your Sharepoint Server, launch IIS Manager
- Expand the Application Pools, and find the one you care about
- Click the ADVANCED SETTINGS link in the Action Pane (on the right)
- Find the IDENTITY entry and change it to a domain user
- click the … button to the right of the field
- select CUSTOM ACCOUNT
- Click the SET button
- use a domain account in the form domainnameusername
- I am not sure if Domain Admin rights are required but I used an account that had Domain Admin rights
- Make sure the Web Application / Site Collection site is using Windows Authentication:
- Launch Central Administration and click SECURITY in the left menu
- Click SPECIFY AUTHENTICATION PROVIDERS (under General Security)
- Click on the DEFAULT zone and make sure:
- the AUTHENTICATION TYPE is set to WINDOWS
- IIS AUTHENTICATION SETTINGS is set to INTEGRATED WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION and NTLM
- See my brief article on Sharepoint Foundation 2010 New Web Application Prompting for Username and Password Credentials .
- See some of these blogs:
I hope this helps.