If want to remove a tab from a Sharepoint 2010 Foundation site and you:
- go to the tab/site in question,
- click SITE ACTIONS,
- SITE SETTINGS,
- DELETE THIS SITE and click the DELETE button
you may see the the following useless error:
Specified method is not supported.
Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: febf0e37-5780-47fa-8cdf-451120ca3d30
Date and Time: 3/12/2012 10:47:31 AM
Apparently this is a known issue:
- with Service Pack1 and may be corrected by installing a June 2010 “refresh” which you can get HERE .
- can occur if UAC is enabled on the machine you are attempting the delete from
- can occur if you you not elevating (right click RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR) your Browser when attempting the delete
- can be resolved by running a Sharepoint Management Shell delete command
In my case the command line was the fast solution (as I did not have UAC enabled and elevating my IE9 did not help).
- simply start the Sharepoint Management Shell on the server
- type stsadm -o deleteweb -url http://RootSite/SubSite
- wait 10 seconds and have a nice day!
Take note that there are several other useful commands to correct problems:
stsadm -o deletesite -url http://server_name/sites/site_name
stsadm -o databaserepair -url http://server_name/site_name -databasename WSS_Content_<your_content_database>
I found the following sites to be quite helpful: