This was definately an odd issue as all seemed well until I rebooted my Sharepoint 2010 server to complete some software patches. In the end the problem was completely unrelated to that reboot and the fix was to “USE OLD EMBED CODE” . This was accomplished by:
- Surfing to YouTube and finding a video I wanted to embed
- Click SHARE
- Click EMBED
- Click the last checkbox USE OLD EMBED CODE
- then copy the embed code into my Sharepoint CONTENT EDITOR.
Apparently the new embed code YouTube provides supports HTML5 and Sharepoint 2010 is not amuzed. YouTube says:
There are two styles of embed codes that are available for YouTube videos.
- New embed code: This code begins with “<iframe…” and supports both Flash and HTML5 video
- Old embed code: This code begins with “<object…” and only support Flash.
Some sites only support the old embed code, so if a site rejects the new embed code, check the Use old embed code option under the embed code, which will generate a code that begins with “<object…”
For more details see these fine references: