If you have ever wanted to report your spam directly to Microsoft so that they can block future emails using their FOPE (Forefront Online Protection Services), Forefront For Exchange or just the basic Junk mail filter in Outlook, this is the post for you.
Reporting spam to Microsoft is useful as long as you are using a Microsoft product including Outlook, Exchange, Office365, FOPE, and/or Forefront.
There are two ways to send spam for analysis directly to Microsoft:
UPDATE OCT 2015: THIS TOOL STILL HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED TO SUPPORT OUTLOOLK 2016.
A) Install the Spam Reporting Tool into Outlook
- Download it directly from Microsoft HERE. Note that you almost certainly want the 32bit version even if you are running a 64bit Operating System. Almost everyone runs Office/Outlook 32bit
- Install it by clicking next a few times
- Restart Outlook
- Right click on some spam and select JUNK > REPORT JUNK
B) Manually Send the Spam
This is handy if you hate add-in’s or do not use Outlook for your mail client but do use some other Microsoft service in the backend, like FOPE, Forefront, Exchange, Office365, Hosted Exchange…
- Save the message to your desktop
- Create a new message and use [email protected] in the TO field
- Copy the subject line of the spam into your message
- Attached the spam message as any other attachment in your message to Microsoft
- Delete everything from the body of your message to Microsoft
- Click SEND
Microsoft has taken down the link below (thank you William K) . However, I have reported a spam message recently to [email protected] and it did not bounce, so I believe this process still works.
For more detail you may find http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715038.aspx useful