SOLVED: How to PXE Boot a Microsoft Surface Pro 3

To PXE boot a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 follow these steps:

1. Plug in the Microsoft Ethernet Adaptor into the USB port
    1. I have tried other adaptors that other people say work, but I have not found success
  2. Power off the Surface – a reboot is not sufficient
  3. Press and HOLD the Volume DOWN button (on the left side of the tablet)
  4. Press and HOLD the Power button for FIVE seconds (on the top of the tablet)
  5. Release the Power button after five seconds but KEEP HOLDING THE VOLUME button until your see PXE start
  6. Have a nice day.

Comments

Corbelen December 17, 2018 at 11:21 pm

I followed your tip to pxe boot my surface pro 4. I used the freeware tftpd32 to set up the PXE server. https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/windows-password-recovery-using-pxe.html

It worked! Thanks a lot!

Dean August 19, 2014 at 10:51 am

Once booted the load of the bootimage.wim is taking several HOURS! is there anything I should be looking at from an infrastructure perspective?

Ian Matthews August 31, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I do not recall the specific amount of time it took for mine to complete, but it definitely was not hours. Can you confirm you are using the specific Network adaptor that Microsoft wants you to use… i.e. theirs?

Tircuit September 3, 2014 at 8:06 am

There’s a SCCM and/or image update that speeds things considerably. I can’t find it now, but if you search “surface sccm pxe”, it should turn up.

Jack March 23, 2015 at 5:09 am

Sounds like your device needs a firmware update. I had a similar issue.

delete badoo August 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I like the idea, but it is just too expensive. I have a tablet and a computer and I’d like a laptop, but I can get one for tons cheaper. Even if it could replace all of my doodads at once, I don’t have the money to replace them all at once, which is where the price point of this baby leaves me.