SOLVED: How To Connect an Xbox One to A Windows 10 PC For Videos and Music Streaming

If you have an Xbox One you may be wondering how to connect it to your Windows 10 PC so you can stream Videos, Music and Pictures.  The process is unnecessarily complex but not very hard:

1. On your Windows 10 PC, click START button and type HOMEGROUP
  2. Click the HOMEGROUP
  3. Click ALLOW ALL DEVICES ON THIS NETWORK SUCH AS TV’S AND GAME CONSOLES TO PLAY MY SHARED CONTENT
  4. Find your XBOX ONE in the list and select ALLOWED
  5. On your Xbox One download the MEDIA PLAYER from the store
  6. Browse through to your PC and select the account you setup the permissions with

Comments

1. xbone user November 3, 2018 at 2:05 pm

in 2018 doesnt’ work anymore
    windows 10 can’t see xbox one (also windows10, no?) in the same local area network

widnows 10 just broken by design by pajeets

not realy sure how this translates to more $$ for microsoft

2. TertiaryHippo July 15, 2017 at 11:39 am

BUMP FOR STILL WORKING!

3. buder shapiro May 31, 2017 at 10:01 am

Thanks for the info.

As of 5/2017, is it possible to cast from Windows 10 to Xbox One? The xbox does not show up in my devices when I look for it on my Windows 10 Surface Book.

Thank you.

Ian Matthews July 4, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I have been CASTING from my Win 10 PC to my XBOX ONE for more than a year using MANY different builds of Win 10. Casting options appear if both systems are on the same LAN.

• York Goodwin December 13, 2018 at 11:55 am

On the same network and cant find xbox at all. Been trying for 30 mins now. dont know what youve done to be able to cast from pc to xbox. would be nice for an explanation of how to find xbox device if its not showing up automatically.

Ian Matthews December 14, 2018 at 4:58 pm

I’m sorry to say that I have scrapped my XBox One so I cannot confirm this, BUT, Microsoft removed the HOME NETWORK from Windows 10 and Windows 10 is now what the XBox One runs on so I suppose it is possible that this is NOT possible anymore.