SOLVED: Video: How to Disable the Store in Windows 10 Pro Using Group Policy GPO

As you likely have found the Group Policy to disable the store (see below) only works with Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise , and Windows 10 Enterprise and Education.  This means it does NOT work on Windows 10 Pro, which is super annoying.

USER CONFIGURATION > ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES > WINDOWS COMPONENTS > STORE  > TURN OFF THE STORE APPLICATION

The insane suggestion I had received from Microsoft Partner Support a few months ago was to “simply” delete the STORE application files from every profile on every PC and then hope that Microsoft does not update the STORE in the future, which would reinstall it under a slightly different path.Disable-Store-in-Windows-10-Pro-Using-Group-Policy-GPO_sm

After MANY hours of banging on this problem I found a simple GPO to will stop the STORE.  Software Restriction Policies has worked well:

COMPUTER CONFIGURATION > POLICIES > WINDOWS SETTINGS > SECRURITY SETTINGS > SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICIES >

At this point you will likely have to right click and select NEW or CREATE to populate this GPO.

> ADDITIONAL RULES  > right click and create a rule that disallows %programfiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore*

It is VERY important to use the ‘*’ wildcard in this path because Microsoft will change the path as they update the STORE application over the coming years.

Comments

1. Vendash July 6, 2018 at 3:49 am

Does it work in Windows 10 1803? I’ll do the same, but this sh***y apps is still working…

Ian Matthews July 28, 2018 at 9:57 am

Hi RedNeck;

Sorry for the time lag; I keep looking at your post and deciding to wait until I can test it, but I only have one client on on 1803 and they are using Enterprise which has the stock GPO do the work. The next time I roll a PRO PC, I will check and report back.

2. Jason June 29, 2018 at 7:33 am

Great fix. I went ahead and blocked all apps “%programfiles%\WindowsApps\*”
    Since I can’t get into this folder to see what apps are there.

3. Matthew Sisson June 14, 2018 at 9:11 am

Solved: Wildcards are needed before and after “store” as it looks like Microsoft changed the path. Change the path in the GPO from %programfiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore* to: %programfiles%\WindowsApps\*store*

4. cimmay February 26, 2018 at 1:13 pm

What kind of rule? There are at least 4 types.

Ian Matthews March 15, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I am sorry, but I don’t understand the question. The video shows the process quite well. If you provide more explanation of the question, we WILL try to help 🙂

• Matt April 13, 2018 at 11:01 am

I’m not cimmay, but I’m pretty sure that poster is wanting to know what kind of rule: Certificate Rule, Hash Rule, Network Zone Rule, or Path Rule. This isn’t shown in the video. In fact, the video doesn’t show the process at all. It begins with the rule already created.

5. Steve February 20, 2018 at 8:26 pm

isn’t working for me – I know, old thread… anybody have another solution or have an idea why it might not work?
    Windows 10 Pro 1709

6. Arnaud MUNCK December 14, 2017 at 5:52 am

Thank you!! Nice work!

7. roh it November 28, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Thanks heaps Mate! I know it’s an old post but wanted to let you know that this works perfectly fine on Windows 10 Pro v1709 as well. This just disables the Windows Store app but let’s you run the already installed Trusted Store apps like Calculator, Photo, Mail, Calendar, etc.

• Steve February 20, 2018 at 8:27 pm

I’ve been unable to get it to work in mine.

is there something I’m missing?

8. aj November 20, 2017 at 10:35 am

Worked great! Fantastic find and nice work!

9. Dc July 23, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Hey Ian,

Sent you an email about this but has this been causing the calculator / and store to be removed as well? I’ve been seeing this in my tests.

Thanks!

10. Joseph Jones June 22, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Worked like a champ on a Win 10 Pro in my educational environment.