SOLVED: The Ultimate Guide To Fixing Samsung Android Email Not Syncing

If you have an Android cell or tablet that has stopped automatically receiving email, there are several places to investigate.  The very first thing you should do is power down the cell / tablet, then power it back up and see if all is working.  If that does not clear the issue, the steps below should start your email automatically syncing.

CONNECTIVITY & POWER SETTINGS:

android-email-not-syncing-power-saving-wifi-problemsTroubleshooting email sync on an Android device is the same as it is on every other device, start by turning everything off and see if syncing works.  Specifically, turn OFF WiFi and turn off Power Saving.

1: In settings (swipe down from the top), press and hold POWER MANAGE > press and hold POWER SAVING MODE > ensure that RESTRICT ALL BACKGROUND DATA is turned OFF (is grey)

2: Confirm you have connectivity to the internet.  Try to surf on your browser.  If you can’t, connectivity is the issue.

android-email-not-syncing-settings-sync-exchange-emailSYNC SETTINGS:

3: In Settings (swipe down from the top) ensure SYNC is turned on

4: Press an hold SYNC, and ensure your MICROSOFT EXCHANGE ACTIVESYNC or other email account is included in the Accounts to Sync list

5: Ensure your email account is included in the ACCOUNTS list

android-email-not-syncing-notificationsNOTIFICATIONS:

Perhaps the sync is working but you have email NOTIFICATIONS turned off.

6: In Settings (swipe down from the top) > click on NOTI. SETTINGS > EMAIL (or whatever email app you are using)

Comments

1. obo September 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Use MailDroid

2. David Morgan July 19, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Unable to sync Contacts on Tab A. Last successful sync 07/03/18. One screen I saw said that tablet was not connected to Internet (clearly, not true). Tab A OS has latest updates. Any suggestions?

Ian Matthews July 28, 2018 at 9:55 am

Sorry, I have nothing new to add since this post was created. I don’t have a TAB A but I assume it is the same as other Samsung tablets I have worked with. I would check to see the last time the Android OS was updated. If it co-incides with your July 3rd date, there may be a bug in the new OS… just a thought.

3. rb May 29, 2018 at 1:44 pm

This article does not work for tab a. It should state this at the beginni g. Bad advice

Ian Matthews June 3, 2018 at 10:00 pm

I think it will work on Samsung TAB A. The device model is not likely to cause issues. The version of Android may be different and so I would suggest updating your OS

4. Aldamarte December 21, 2017 at 11:07 am

great, thank you for the quick summary. The sync problem was driving me crazy and I followed other tutorials online and could not get it to work before.

5. Shonya December 11, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Didn’t work. My SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with s pen doesn’t even have many of the options listed in this article. Disappointing.

Ian Matthews December 26, 2017 at 12:41 pm

If you have different options, you most likely have a different build of the operating system. Try upgrading it first and see how that works 🙂

6. Kathleen Losada October 4, 2017 at 9:58 am

Did all that still not synching