If you see either of the following errors while updating a Dell Server BIOS, there may be a simple fix:
- BIOS update is not supported using RBU method
- EXECUTION STATUS: Unified Server Configurator Failure – Detach USC failure – Detaching a partition has failed
In my experience there are four solutions to work through:
- Update the RAID controller firmware. In my case that was a PERC330. You can locate and download your RAID controllers firmware from: www.dell.com/support
- Work from the local server and not through remote desktop. RBU = Remote BIOS Update
- Install a previous build of the BIOS. For instance if you have version 1.53 and are going to version 2.06, try installing something between those two BIOS versions, like v1.8.
- Try the Dell SUU. SUU = Server Update Utility which you can download from Dell HERE.
Beyond these, you should of course run any upgrade “as an administrator”.
If none of these work for you, you will need to download the update to a memory stick and flash your BIOS the old fashioned way by booting into the BIOS and making it happen manually. Dell has a basic article on how to flash a Dell PowerEdge Server BIOS without Windows you will find useful.