Creating a network adapter team is generally an easy way to double triple or quadruple your throughput but there are a number of annoying roadblocks to get around with Broadcom NIC’s
Broadcom NIC Teaming Gotchas:
- Install the latest Broadcom firmware and drivers
- Unplug your network cables while creating the team
- Make sure you created the same NIC link aggregation (aka. Team) on your switch BEFORE you create it on on your servers NIC’s
- Download and install the latest Broadcom Advanced Control Suite
- RIGHT CLICK on the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
- If you still can’t get NIC Teaming (aka. NIC aggregation) done
- Uninstall the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite
- Using Hyper V Manager > SWITCH MANAGER > uninstall any NIC’s
- Using Device Manager uninstall all your NIC’s
- Go to step 1 above and start again
The most annoying gotcha is the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR requirement. If you don’t do that CREATE TEAM will not appear.
Below is a video demonstrating some of these Broadcom issues and solutions:
If you don’t understand why adding a NIC to a team does NOT increase performance, see this short explanation and video.