If you have a Windows 10 PC that just will not upgrade to the next build there are several things you can do.
In the instance shown in the screen shots below, I was seeing:
- Windows Update sit on DOWNLOADING for hours and then failing with THERE WERE PROBLEMS INSTALLING UPDATES 0x80d02002
- Windows 10 Media Creation Tool failing with THIS TOOL CAN’T UPDATE YOUR PC. THE LANGUAGE OR EDITION OF WINDOWS CURRENTLY INSTALLED ON YOUR PC ISN’T SUPPORTED BY THIS TOOL
Click to expand graphic
If you see these or similar problems upgrading (or even updating) Windows 10 there are several things you can do:
- Reboot and try again
- Make sure there is enough drive space and delete all of your temporary files then reboot and try again
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This tool will unlock and delete patches that are hung as well as restart and verify the required update services
- Click START and type TROUBLESHOOT
- Click TROUBLESHOOT SETTINGS
- Click on WINDOWS UPDATE (usually 4th from the top) and run through the wizard
- Use a different upgrade method. If Windows Update fails, try the UPDATE ASSISTANT, and if that fails try Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
In our customers case, the only tool that worked for us was the UPDATE ASSISTANT.