Does your voice to text not work like it used to? We found that recent updates to our Samsung Galaxy S9 S10 S20 and S20FE‘s are switched to the Samsung voice keyboard.

Typing with your voice used to be easy, accurate, fast and used to learn from its mistakes.

The Samsung voice keyboard is now the default voice keyboard on most Samsung Android cells and tablets and it does work, but is not nearly as well as the Google voice typing keyboard. The Samsung voice keyboard makes mistakes in grammar, misses context and most annoyingly does not learn from previous corrections.  For example we have noticed it gets these words wrong:

• There, Their and They’re
  • Provenance not Province
  • The word Period rather than a period dot “.”
  • which, witch is winch
  • number 4 is often translated to text as the word “for”
  • and on and on and on

We have the written instructions at the bottom of this article and we recorded two videos on how to solve voice to text problems:

3.5 minute version to be viewed on computer screens:

1 minute version to be viewed on cell phones:

This will appear on YouTube #Shorts searches.

The Google voice to text keyboard is far superior and we show you how to switch to the Google voice keyboard to fix those annoyances and to change it simply:

1. Swipe down and click the COG ⚙ icon
  2. Scroll down near the bottom of settings and click GENERAL MANAGEMENT
  3. Click LANGUAGE & INPUT
  4. Click ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD
  5. Click MANAGE KEYBOARDS
  6. Set SAMSUNG VOICE INPUT to OFF

9 Comments

Rita · April 18, 2022 at 9:08 pm

Still having a problem with punctuation. Keeps spelling out period and comma. Very frustrating!

Lynn Anderson · April 8, 2022 at 9:09 am

I can’t thank you enough. The crappy Samsung voice to text has been a thorn in side for several years. What a relief to finally have it resolved!

Ian Matthews · April 9, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Ya, I would have smashed mine with a hammer if I could not change it 🙂

warriorcodetraining · April 6, 2022 at 11:14 am

I have a new Galaxy Z Fold 3 and none of these steps are there any more – any chance you could help with a current version? Voice and texting SUUUUUCK on the new samsung. SO bad!!

Ian Matthews · April 9, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Agreed!!!!

Ted · March 9, 2022 at 5:01 pm

The above video must be on an older OS. My S21’s menu selection is vastly different. The voice to text is so bad I may ditch the phone altogether. It made a turn for the worst after one of the updates late last year.

Ian Matthews · March 9, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Hi Ted;

I have made this change on a number of S21’s and I just confirmed the steps are tsill the same on on my S9 running Android 10.

I have access to some S21’s on Tuesday and if I can make the time, I will verify this process still works on them and get back to you.

Project Responder · November 16, 2021 at 9:34 am

Thank you. The Samsung voice to text is absolutely abominable.

Steve · October 14, 2021 at 2:06 pm

the latest set of updates to the app “Google” messed up voice to text, dropping the “tap underlined for alternatives”. In app manager find the app “Google” (not pay or play or text-to-speech or TV, just plain Google) and tap the 3 dots for the option to Uninstall Updates. It will prompt you to revert to factory, and answer yes. That will fix it till the next update, then you have to uninstall the updates again.