If you have problems with your battery, it is quite common for the keyboard to be stuck to the display of a Microsoft Surface Book 1. This is because the mechanism to detach the keyboard from the screen requires power.
Fortunately there is a simple way to manually force the two to separate:
- turn the Surfacebook on its side
- on the screen unit, count 6 holes up from where the unit connects to the keyboard
- insert a strong paperclip or large pin into the hole at a 45 degree angle
- push in until the screen detaches
- do the same on the other side
- the Surface Book screen and keyboard should now be separated, enjoy!
In the picture below you can see how the mechanism actually works which will make your efforts easier:
Click the expand this picture: