SOLVED: IE9 Welcome Page “Meet your new browser” Tab Always Opens

If the IE9 Welcome page titled “Meet your new browser” keeps coming up and you want to disable it, use the local Group Policy editor and set PREVENT PERFORMANCE OF FISRT RUN CUSTOMIZATION SETTINGS:

1. run GPEDIT.MSC from the Start button search bar;
  2. Expand USER CONFIGURATION, ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES, WINDOWS COMPONENTS, INTERNET EXPLORER
  3. Double click “PREVENT PERFORMANCE OF FIRST RUN CUSTOMIZATION SETTINGS” (in the right pane)
  4. Set it to ENABLED and set GO DIRECTLY TO HOME PAGE from the drop down.
  5. Have a nice day!
How to Disable IE9 Welcome Page - Tab
How to Disable IE9 Welcome Page – Tab

Amoung others, I found http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/every-time-i-start-internet-explorer-9-the-welcome/1f279c69-5570-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?page=2 useful.

Comments

ajsmsg78 June 28, 2014 at 12:50 am

There is no group policy editor on the edition of windows 7 that most people have….Home Premium. Thanks for trying though.

Ian Matthews July 30, 2014 at 10:19 pm

GPMC applies to corporate domains, but really it just sets registry entries which you can create/edit used REGEDIT.EXE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Value: DisableFirstRunCustomize
      Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 0 to show the First Run page;
      1 to show the First Home Page or Start Page;
      2 to show the Welcome to Internet Explorer page

mihaj October 15, 2013 at 11:42 pm

THANKS FOR THE TIME AND REPLY

mihaj October 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I have also tried the process of eliminating the “meet your new browser under Internet Explorer 10 and I can’t find the PREVENT PERFORMANCE OF First RUN CUSTOMIZATION “POLICY” SETTINGS . It doesn’t exist there on windows Ultimate 7sp1?

Ian Matthews November 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm

This process has worked for me 100% of the time. I would add it if it does not exist. Also, make sure you are in USER CONFIGURATION and not COMPUTER CONFIGURATION

Vic February 20, 2014 at 1:08 pm

For IE10 you can find the option as “Prevent running First Run wizard”. Same method as above.
      Good luck!

Ray Young August 25, 2013 at 10:49 am

I have tried the process of eliminating the “meet your new browser and I can’t find the PREVENT PERFORMANCE OF FISRT RUN CUSTOMIZATION SETTINGS under Internet Explorer. It doesn’t exist there on my laptop.

Any other suggestions?

Ian Matthews August 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Good Day R;

You are correct. The setting does not exist in the Browser. It is a “policy” setting an you need to follow steps 1 & 2 if you want to turn it off. 🙂

FYI, I just checked IE10 on Windows 8 and the policy setting still exists.

Dave DiFilippo July 28, 2013 at 10:34 am

If someone has the equivalent setting for IE 10, please share. The group policy setting for IE 9 is not showing up for 10 to disable.

Ian Matthews August 9, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I have not seen this problem in IE10 or the beta of IE11. If I do I will definitely dig through an find you an answer.

… anyone else see this or have a fix for IE10?

MIke August 20, 2013 at 7:59 am

Yes, I have IE 10. It does not work for me.

Ian Matthews August 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hi Mike;

These instructions were for IE9 only but I did just confirm that the POLICY setting does exist in Win 8 with IE10. I have not had the problem with IE10 on Win8 so I can not confirm that the policy still has impact 🙁

Maikol August 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You are the Guy men

THANKSSSS

Pete December 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

This will not work for Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, or Home Premium because GPEDIT.MSC does not exist in those editions.

skaistuminsh December 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Elchupanibre November 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

Thanks!
    It worked 🙂

Ian Matthews November 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I am glad this helped.

Have a great day.

sanibel island resorts September 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Hi, I wanted to ask you something. Is this site a wordpress site? My organization is planning on changing our website from Blogger to wordpress, ya think this can be doable? Also did you construct this specific template by yourself some how? Thank you for the assistance!

Windows 8 September 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

Well why don’t just change in internet options and set some random welcome page tab, like google or yahoo ?

Ian Matthews September 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm