SOLVED: Windows Can’t Be Activated Right Now 0x8007232b – Windows 8

The solution is to:

1. click START (gets you to the tiles)
  2. type RUN
  3. type slui 3 and press ENTER
    1. yes, SLUI: which stands for SOFTWARE LICENSING USER INTERFACE
      1. SLUI 1 brings up the activation status window
      2. SLUI 2 brings up the activation window
      3. SLUI 3 brings up the CHANGE PRODUCT KEY window
      4. SLUI 4 brings up the CALL MICROSOFT & MANUALLY ACTIVATE window
  4. Type in your product key
  5. Have a nice day.

See the screen shots below.

I just downloaded my Windows 8 Enterprise from Technet / MSDN, wiped the hard drive on my brand new Acer Timeline X, and installed it.  I did the same thing with an identical Acer Time Line but on that unit, I had yanked the hard disk and installed a spanky new Kingston V200+ SSD.  Both of these laptops had the same problems:

1. When I tried to activate them they showed “Windows Can’t Be Activated Right Now” DNS error 0x8007232b
  2. There was no link to CHANGE THE PRODUCT KEY

SLUI came out with Windows Vista and if you want more details you might find support.microsoft.com/kb/921471 useful 🙂

Comments

1. Evan July 21, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Whoever Wrote This Needs A Hug.

2. Joe S Murray June 23, 2017 at 9:13 am

Error 0xc004b100 / Cannot activate windows at this time

I solved this problem by rebooting, unplugging internet cable and or disconnecting from wireless. Then entered the product key and used Microsoft’s phone activation. It was successfully activated.

3. Ascella June 6, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Hey, there, umm… So, I got a computer with a built-in windows and I don’t know the product key thing… And I can’t activate the windows OS because of this… Any possible solutions?

Ian Matthews June 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Hi Ascella; Most people need a “COA” Certificate of Authenticity which will include a long product key. However, if your PC is from a major vendor like Dell or Toshiba and shipped with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, that product key is buried in the systems firmware. Windows is supposed to pick up that key automatically but I have seen it fail MANY times. The details (if you care) are https://www.urtech.ca/2013/06/solved-missing-windows-8-coa-certificate-of-authenticity-cd-key/ . The solution may be to use a free tool to pull out that key. I have used http://neosmart.net/OemKey/ many times without incident.

I hope this helps.

4. Kole March 13, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Mine just says that i need to try again later, ive done that many times. Ive fixed the time and date as well, didnt work. Any advice?

5. matt December 16, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Office Status: 111 Unsupported OS
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data–>
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data–>
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll[Hr = 0x80070002]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin[Hr = 0x80070002]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat[Hr = 0x80070002]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig[Hr = 0x80070002]

Other data–>
    Office Details: {067D8773-961D-424D-9DE9-CB47487147CB}1.9.0027.0×32*****-*****-*****-*****-3V66T00330-80000-00000-AA8220S-1-5-21-3961427786-2044308948-3680924143BIOSTAR GroupG41D3CAmerican Megatrends Inc.080015 20110824000000.000000+000CDB80600018400F808090809Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)03111
    N/A, hr = 0x80070424

Windows Activation Technologies–>
    N/A

HWID Data–>
    HWID Hash Current: MgAAAAAABAABAAEAAgABAAAAAQABAAEAJJTwskjkqnbMBoCfahO8tBACGoAWUvZKRso=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data–>

APIC 082411 APIC1515
    OEMB 082411 OEMB1515
    GSCI 082411 GMCHSCI
    SSDT DpgPmm CpuPm

7. Obaid October 5, 2015 at 1:00 am

Hi Ian

Recently I factory reset my laptop and now I am not able to activate the windows. It kept on saying that Windows Key is blocked. Windows came with the laptop and the key is builtin. Can you please help me out ?

Ian Matthews November 8, 2015 at 2:54 pm

The next build on Windows 10, which is due out THIS week (Nov 2015), named TH2 is supposed to support the use of Windows 7 and Windows 8 keys. You might want to try installing Windows 10 with the key you have, next week.

8. Yan August 24, 2015 at 1:36 am

Hi,

I want to ask about KMS in activation of windows server. couple days ago, my KMS server is not work normally. When I build a new server of Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2008, it cannot be activated. It said Error: 0xC004F074 the software licensing service reported that computer could not be activated. No KMS could be contacted.

When I try to ping KMS server it work normally. And the rearm is still 500++. Please help me to solve this issue. Thank you

Ian Matthews August 29, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Hi Ho; I do not run a single KMS server as I have refused. After I call MS and demand a MAK key, they ALWAYS provide one. This is because several users in all of my clients can be off the LAN for more than 6 months at a time and if they are in and a KMS activation, their Windows will fail. IMHO, key management is purely a Microsoft problem and I will not let them off the hook for it.

HOWEVER, to answer your question, I would suggest you call MS support as I believe KMS support is available at no cost.

9. selva July 19, 2015 at 11:14 am

i have tried a product key using the step u showed it says “Thank you ,u’r all done” but the windows is still not activated please help me to activate windows #tselvand5@gmail.com ,#facebook/tsnow000

10. Alaa Aziz March 3, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I have done of all the above steps to activate windows 10 technical preview. However, it always tells me that it failed to activate, something about not being able to reach microsoft. This is funny, because my internet is fine, yet, my computer can’t seem to be able to contact microsoft. Any thoughts? I’m using the enterprise build, and it was upgraded from 8.1 enterprise.

Ian Matthews March 22, 2015 at 12:47 am

The Windows 10 Enterprise that I am using now, also would not activate after my first build of Win10 in November. The three major updates since have all failed to Activate. Just today I tried again on build 10041 and it failed. Soooo, I posted feedback with Microsoft again. Now here is the odd part, I had to reboot for a completely unrelated reason and TADA! my Win10 is now activated. That was odd.

11. Will Raresheid January 25, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Just a different scenario but this same thing occurred to me with Windows 10 preview after a refresh. I have a small domain that is not on the internet (domain.something) on a private IP. My DNS server is not exposed so hence the error. Remove the PC from the domain, it activates by itself on reboot, then rejoin domain. I realize this is not a typical situation but it can happen. It’s that error that got me to this page and when I realized the agony of listening to that ‘OK! Let’s get started’ guy at the Microsoft phone-in activation it shifted my brain right into gear. Thanks.

12. ias September 27, 2014 at 1:35 pm

what words i must type in product key???

Ian Matthews September 27, 2014 at 7:28 pm

You must enter your product key… perhaps from a small “COA” (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on your PC or with the DVD or from your TechNet download site or…

13. Brian Pavey September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am

One thing I’d like to point out is that you’ll run into this problem if your time settings are incorrect as well.

• John September 3, 2015 at 9:31 am

That’s what my problem was. I updated the time and everything activated fine after.

14. Kevin July 22, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hi

My key doesnt work, i bought my laptop about 2 months ago with windows 8.1 preinstalled, and 5 days ago when i came home from a 2 week vacation i turned on my laptop and they said that i had to activate windows 8.1 and i never had to activate it before I downloaded MagicJellyBean to find my key, and when i entered it. It didnt work.

Can you help me?

15. Elizabeth June 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. This activation problem has been bothering me for several month (for some reason my asus had windows 8 yet it wasn’t activated????) so here I am, finding your website months later and it worked, along with another place that suggested downloading a product key finder. Now I can customize my computer instead of having to look at the disgusting custom lock screen and I don’t have to be bothered with a blue popup screen disturbing my work and telling me to update windows. It was such a pain. Thanks again mate.

16. Ole March 31, 2014 at 3:51 am

Thank you so much!!

I was going crazy trying to activate Windows 8.1. Talk about bad error messages…

17. L March 26, 2014 at 7:57 am

Not very effective when this is happening on a brand-new laptop and you weren’t supplied with the product key…

Ian Matthews March 30, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Agreed! I certainly understand the logic this simplifies a process that nearly no user wants to deal with and that manufacturers find costly to manage, but this has a substantial potential to frustrate both power users and everyday users who have problems.

18. rjv debilde March 6, 2014 at 8:01 am

In a few of your lines I gathered more insight knowledge about activation then in hundreds of internet posts about how to solve from other sources. Sharing the logic of a system makes so much sence!

19. Alko Sdsge February 4, 2014 at 3:38 am

The software licencing service determined that there is no permission to run this software.

Tried all:-
    TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF
    MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7
    WWKTN-FQFKB-MP8QJ-BT29X-9HFDW

Tried all activators.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ian Matthews February 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm

If these are keys you found on the internet, Microsoft has almost certainly flagged them. You need a real purchased key. If the keys you posted are ones you purchased, please get back to me and ask me to remove them and then call Microsoft to get them to activate one of them over the phone.

• shubham June 15, 2014 at 9:44 am

Dowload this Keyfinder Magical Jelly Bean and you can see your product key. Now open windows and right click command prompt and choose ‘Run as administrator’ and type this command slmgr.vbs -ipk “YOUR PRODUCT KEY”

20. amit January 21, 2014 at 5:21 am

when i exceuted slui 4 command only see united states only so pls suggest for activation windows 2008 server r2 addtion

Ian Matthews February 5, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Sorry, I have not seen this problem on Server 08 R2.

21. Maninderjeet Singh December 25, 2013 at 8:03 am

thnx Slui 3 Works…….
    but i dont have a key
    can you plz send me the product key of window 8 pro

22. rey November 10, 2013 at 2:26 am

mate, this what the dialog box popout after i entred the key…
    invalid product key
    the following failure occurred trying to use the product key:
    code:
    0xC004F013
    description:
    the software licensing service determined that there is no permission to rub the software

plz help thanks

Ian Matthews December 23, 2013 at 3:47 am

If I had to guess, I would say to confirm your version. It sounds like your copy of Windows is trying to use a corporate license service.

23. pradeep September 25, 2013 at 10:34 pm

this helped. thanx a lot.

24. Fritze Ong September 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Please help me!! When I did the Slui 3, it says that my code is corrected. But, whenever I proceed to activate it, this pops up! “The Software Licensing Service reported that the product could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted. Please see the Application Event Log for additional information.” Please help!!

Ian Matthews September 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

That means you are trying to use a corporate key. KEY MANAGEMENT SERVICE is Windows Activation Service for companies. The idea is, companies can have their PC’s activate inside the company to a KMS server and that KMS server periodically reports back to Microsoft’s activation systems to make sure all is as expected. KMS keys have exactly the same format as standard keys but they only activate against KMS servers. If you are a company and you have been given KMS keys but do not want to run a KMS Server, you can call Microsoft and they WILL issue you standard keys.

25. Maha August 13, 2013 at 12:43 am

What if you have the same problem but you don’t have a key (my windows 8 came with the laptop and I don’t have a key)?

26. Karen Mayberry May 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm

That activation watermark was driving me nuts. It’s gone now! Your solution worked for me. Thanks!

27. Daniel Radeschi March 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

It says “DNS request not supported by name server”.
    Error code: 0x8007232c

Please help me.

28. Roohan March 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks!! Now why the f**k did they have to bury it like that? MEH.

29. J February 6, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Thanks bruh.

30. hesham January 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

thanx alot that is much appreciated 😀

31. Alro November 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thanks, worked for me using Win8 Pro 64Bit on Acer A722 Netbook.

32. Matthew Platte November 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

?? Wasn’t the “bowser” spelling present in the NT 4.x event viewer? Or maybe I’m just too sleepy… 🙂

33. scott September 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Thank you. That fixed the problem. Now I remember Windows Vista did the same thing when released on Technet. And look in eventvwr, they mispelled a word so we’ve got references to the bowser service; they forgot an r.
    Scott