SOLVED: Ford Sync Does Not Read USB Sticks – This USB Device Is Not Supported

There are several causes for this problem if you have connected a cell phone like Samsung galaxy S2 S3 or S4, or an Apple iPhone but if you have connected just a simple memory stick your issue is likely caused by a simple issue with formatting.  Most memory sticks are quick large and so often they are formatted with NTFS.  Ford Sync does not support

1. Insert the USB memory stick into your PC
  2. Open COMPUTER (formerly My Computer)
  3. Right click on the stick and select FORMAT
  4. Change the FILE SYSTEM drop down from NTFS or exFAT to FAT32

Now you can copy you still pictures and music onto that USB memory stick and when you plug it into your Ford Sync car or truck, it will be recognized.

NTFS has many advantages over FAT32, but Ford Sync does not support it… so just use a FAT32 formatted stick and be happy!

Comments

Dirk Crafford February 12, 2019 at 2:36 am

Is there a limit to the number of songs the usb can play? My flash has over 800 songs on but it only reads until 255. Ive made it FAT32 and named the flash aswell

Ian Matthews February 27, 2019 at 8:05 pm

I have not hit a limit myself (other than the 2TB limit that FAT32 has), but I no longer have my Ford for testing, so there may be a limit

RobD March 10, 2019 at 7:19 am

I have a 128gb thumb drive (actually have 2 of them, but different manufacturer) with over 21,000 songs on them. The most I am able to read is 18,155. I got to that number by playing with the metadata i.e. shortening artist names, album names, etc. it seems that the amount of metadata does affect the storage capabilities of SYNC (either that or it needs to have the metadata arranged consistently throughout your library. There is a free piece of software that Ford provides called SyncMyRide that can help you with the metadata). Incidentally, I tried out my 128gb thumb drives in two different brand new 2018 Ford vehicles last year, and both vehicles read all 21,000+ songs on the thumb drives.

John Kirkpatrick February 2, 2019 at 4:47 pm

I have a 2012 Ford F150 and sync recognizes and plays music from the USB Flash Drive (stick) but will not advance to the next song, just plays the same one over and over. I have used the voice commands to “Play All” and it starts from #1 and repeats. I went to the manual menu input and turned on Autoplay and to Play All, still not advancing. Is there a special way of listing the songs?

James January 12, 2019 at 11:51 pm

I did format a 8 Gig. Flash drive to Fat 30 and the Ford Sync 3 will not recognize it?

Ian Matthews January 16, 2019 at 5:14 pm

If you have formatted as FAT32 and it still does not work, use a smaller stick. I have seen reports that 4GB is the limit Sync likes… although I can’t imaging why it cares.

Splaturbate October 26, 2018 at 9:34 am

Cheers Tim, that tip of renaming the USB worked for me.

Completethetrail.org August 24, 2018 at 11:10 am

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological
    world everything is available on net?

Tim July 12, 2018 at 8:19 pm

I found with my 64 GB SD card SYNC would not recognize it unless the sd card was named (i named mine MUSIC). the default format of the card is exFat. Everything was found and played correctly. I hope this helps