This error popped up when I was attempting to install Update Rollup 3 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM. I had manually downloaded KB3016464 and tried to manually install it, rather than watching it error out repeatedly in Windows Update.
The answer was to:
- Click the START button
- Type CMD
- Right click CMD PROMPT and select RUN AS ADMIN
- Type LODCTR /r
- Wait a few seconds for it to throw ERROR: UNABLE TO REBUILD PERFORMANCE COUNTER SETTING FROM SYSTEM BACKUP STORE. ERROR CODE IS 2
- Type LODCTR /r (yes, do it again 🙂 )
- This time it will run successfully
- Run Windows Update and try the install patch that was causing you problems again or manually try to run the update again
- Have a nice day.
In case you are wondering LODCTR updates the performance counters which are stored in the registry and can be corrupted. As you might have guessed, LODCTR /R causes a Rebuild of those counters.
For more details type LODCTR /? into a CMD prompt and press ENTER.