If you have were trying to upgrade your Juniper device (like a Juniper SRX product) and were prompted with a error message telling you that your Juniper device was out of space like:
J-Web is unable to access user information as the device file system is full. Please clear the storage from CLI using (request system storage cleanup) to continue with J-web access.
then you need to clear out some dead files and logs from that Juniper firewall or switch. They question is how can I easily make space on my Juniper hardware and the answer is to:
- Use a terminal (like Putty) to SSH to your Juniper switch or firewall
- Enter the ROOT username and password when prompted
- Type CLI and then press the enter key to bring up the Command Line Interface
- Type request system storage cleanup and press the enter key
- Wait about a minute as Junos scans the device for unnecessary files
- Type Y and press the enter key to delete the surplus files
- Try your upgrade again.
I put together a brief video for you to see these instructions executed in Juniper CLI in case the above is not clear.