SOLVED: MSCOMCTL.OCX Download & Register on 64 Bit Windows

If you are working for an old application you may be presented with the error:

Component ‘MSCOMCTL.OCX’ or one if its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid:

cannot-find-mscomctl-ocx-component-mscomctl-ocx-or-one-one-of-its-dependencies-no-correctly-registered

In this case you have two tasks to complete and neither of them are obvious:

DOWNLOAD MSCOMCTL.OCX

MSCOMCTL.OCX is part of Visual Basic 6 Package and you can download directly from Microsoft HERE then extract it using a tool like 7 Zip.  Alternately you can just download the MSCOMCTL.OCX directly from us HERE.

INSTALL MSCOMCTL.OCX

You need to know if you are using a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows and because this is not 2002, we are assuming you want to install it on a 64bit PC.  If you try to register MSCOMCTL.OCX (which is 32 bit) on a 64 bit system and you put it in the typical C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder you will get:

1. dllregisterserver-in0mscomctl.ocx-succeededIf you are using 64 bit Windows copy the MSCOMCTL.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64
    (If you are using 32 bit Windows copy MSCOMCTL.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)
  2. Open a CMD or PowerShell prompt (as an administrator) and change into C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64
  3. Type

regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx

4. Press ENTER
  5. Enjoy

Comments

DeUglyOne August 2, 2019 at 2:34 am

Open a CMD or PowerShell prompt (as an administrator)
    You didn’t open as administrator. That’s why your still getting the error.

Corylea July 6, 2019 at 1:29 pm

I followed your instructions but still got “THE MODULE ‘MSCOMTRL.OCX’ WAS LOADED BUT THE CALL TO DLLREGISTERSERVER FAILED WITH ERROR CODE 0X8002801C.”

Galih Sterisma July 6, 2019 at 12:57 am

I have same problem, and I do the instruction you wrote but still not works for me. I use win10 pro 64 bit and win office 2016. Please help me, is any other way?

stevesd619 April 25, 2019 at 11:36 pm

Edward thank you so much for how to change to syswow64 I looked everywhere and couldn’t find out how to do it.and Victor thanks so much but please tell us how to use the cd to change directory.

Muhammad Imran April 15, 2019 at 11:38 pm

THANKS A LOT. VERY HELPFUL. GOD BLESS U ALWAYS

Henry April 5, 2019 at 4:03 am

Thank you for reminding me of how to do this. It has been a while since I have had to do this and my memory is not what it used to be. Again, THANK YOU.

Edward Almenar March 19, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Great tutorial as a non IT expert I struggle a little bit to open the CMD as administrator then to change the directory, in order to improve it, I would sugest you to explain to the user how to open the CMD as administrator and after that explain that they need to type cd C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64 in order to chahe it form the default C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32) after we managed to open the CMD as administrator.

Is just my personal recommendation; Im really thankful beacause based on your tutoril I managed to fix my problem and now the program that I need to see open correctly.

Victor Ávila Arruda March 13, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Thanks!

Matt March 11, 2019 at 7:50 am

Great, worked with the app that required it! Thank you!

Sideral February 27, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Thank you Ian, it worked, anyway to trust 100% I want to try on some programs.