YouTube is an American online video sharing and social media platform. It is owned by tech giant, Google, and was launched in 2005. However, its prominence and popularity has grown beyond American borders, as it is now a platform that is used all over the world.
There are a few notable reasons why it has become so popular, moreover, why so many people are starting YouTube channels.
YouTube has been the launchpad for many content creators who have since risen to stardom through their regular videos on the platform.
The great thing about YouTube is that it is not only reserved for people who create content for a particular niche, instead, it encourages a variety of people to share content that focuses on their personal interests or even those who are just looking to promote their services or businesses. So, whether you are into beauty, fashion, travel, food, finance, or are just looking to share tutorials and guides on forex trading, you can also start your own YouTube channel.
How to start one
Post-2020 and the unprecedented global, more people have stated YouTube channels as a way to earn an additional income from their love for content creation. It is important to note that not everyone who has a YouTube channel has been monetized, as Google has clear guidelines on the requirements that need to be met before you can start earning money on YouTube.
One of the most popular ways of earning money on the platform is through ad revenue. In order to do so, you must be at least 18 years old, or have a legal guardian older than 18 years of age who can manage your AdSense payments; create content that does not violate the advertiser-friendly content guidelines; and have more than 1,000 subscribers, amongst other criteria.
Most recently, there is also the option of monetizing your channel through YouTube Premium Revenue, Super Chat & Super Stickers, as well as Merch Shelf. So, should you be looking to start your own channel anytime soon, below are the recommended steps to follow:
- Ensure that you have a Gmail account and then activate your channel by navigating to the top-right menu, where you will see the option to create either a personal or business channel.
- Pick your channel art; this will act as the background image for your channel. The image that you choose can be changed at a later stage.
- Customize your channel by going to the About tab and adding descriptive text if you wish. Here, you can also share the links to your other social media pages.
- Create a trailer and share your first video. When people land on your YouTube page, there needs to be some sort of first impression video that tells them a bit more about what your interests are and the type of content you will be sharing, which is what the trailer is for. Thereafter, you can share your first video to indicate that you have already started populating content. Did you know that you also can download your published YouTube videos if you haven’t saved it on a physical drive and want to upload it to another media platform?
- Promote your channel on other social media platforms to gain subscribers. This is a great way to drive traffic to your channel, particularly if you have established a name for yourself on other platforms and have a large following.
- Continue uploading videos regularly. Much like you would expect from a television series, subscribers appreciate consistent content and it indicates that you take your channel seriously. This will also improve your chances of gaining subscribers, increase viewership, and ultimately lead you on the path towards monetization or increase your earnings.