If you are trying to open up the Hyper-V Manager on a Windows Server and you see this error message there is an easy fix:
You do not have the required permission to complete the task
To open the Hyper-V Manager to list or manage Hyper V virtual machines you must be either part of the Administrator’s group or part of the HyperV Administrators group.
If you’re trying to add a local user to the Hyper-V Administrators group make sure that you click the LOCATIONS button on the Select Users dialog box and change it from your domain to the local machine, otherwise you won’t be able to find your local user. In the example below we have changed it from the domain to a local PC we cleverly have named HP27.
- Click Start > Control Panel > Administration Tools > Computer Management
- Click System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Groups
- Double-click on Hyper-V Administrators group
- Click Add
- Enter the user account name to whom you want to assign permissions, and then click OK.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.