As shown in the screenshot below you may have seen:
- Microsoft Edge WebView2 – in your Task Manager
- msedgewebview22.exe – in your File Explorer
- Microsoft Edge-WebView2 Runtime – in your Windows Update
What is Microsoft Edge WebView2?
Put simply Microsoft EdgeWebView2 is a stripped down version of the Microsoft Edge browser- based on Google Chrome that developers can use to run web code inside of applications you are using.
EdgeWebView2 is supported on all versions of Windows 10 and 11, as well as Windows Server 2016, 2019 and 2022.
Support for Edge WebView2 on Windows 7, 8, Server 2012 and 2012R2, ended at Edge WebView2 version 107 in October of 2022 because those operating systems are no longer supported… anywhere.
Does Microsoft Edge WebView2 Use The Same Code as Microsoft Edge?
Microsoft Edge WebView2 uses separate but equal code to the MS Edge browser install. That is why you have both MS Edge and MS Edge WebView2 folders in your C:\PROGRAM FILES
Can Microsoft Edge WebView2 Be Safely Stopped?
Yes, Microsoft Edge WebView2 can have its processes safely stopped using END TASK in TASK MANAGER. That being said, it will likely come back the next time you launch the program that was using it, but hopefully the high CPU or high memory problem will not reoccur.
Can Microsoft Edge WebView2 Be Uninstalled?
Yes, Microsoft Edge WebView2 can be safely uninstalled but you should not waist your efforts trying because:
- Microsoft Edge WebView2 is not included in APPS AND FEATURES so the uninstall is pain
- Microsoft Edge WebView2 will likely be automatically reinstalled the next time you launch a program that needs it