The simplified answer to the question of ‘how many websites are there?’ is 1.1 billion sites with about 4.5 billion total pages in 2016. However, it is critically important to note that between 60% and 75% of all sites are “inactive“. That means that most sites are ‘place holders’ that are for sale or that have only one page of stale content. This means the real answer is that there are about 300 million active websites in the world of 2016.
Here are some other interesting facts about the internet in 2016:
- Contrary to common belief, only 4% of internet sites are porn related
- There are about 3.4 billion Internet Users
- GoDaddy is the largest registrar in the world and is about 4 times as large as its nearest competitor
- Google processes about 5 billion searches per day
- About 225 billion emails are sent every day
- Facebook has about 1.75 billion active users
- About 7.2 million smartphones are sold each day
- Nearly 200 million Skype calls are made each day
The best site we know of to track current statistics on web usage is www.InternetLiveStats.com.