The simplified answer to the question of ‘how many websites are there?’ is 1.1 billion sites with about 4.5 billion total pages in 2016. However, it is critically important to note that between 60% and 75% of all sites are “inactive“. That means that most sites are ‘place holders’ that are for sale or that have only one page of stale content. This means the real answer is that there are about 300 million active websites in the world of 2016.
Here are some other interesting facts about the internet in 2016:
- Contrary to common belief, only 4% of internet sites are porn related
- There are about 3.4 billion Internet Users
- GoDaddy is the largest registrar in the world and is about 4 times as large as its nearest competitor
- Google processes about 5 billion searches per day
- About 225 billion emails are sent every day
- Facebook has about 1.75 billion active users
- About 7.2 million smartphones are sold each day
- Nearly 200 million Skype calls are made each day
The best site we know of to track current statistics on web usage is www.InternetLiveStats.com.
Importance of Domain Names
Websites found on the Internet all started with finding the best domain names. Anyone who wants to create and establish a web or online presence would need to decide what domain name to use to best represent a website. You probably can tell a few domain names that are popular or ring a bell, such as Forbes.com or ebay.com. But, what is the importance of domains?
Domain names are very important because the addressing scheme of the Internet won’t be effective without them. Every domain name can be assigned to each Internet protocol or IP address, making it easier to remember.
More than the technicalities of domain names, having a short, memorable domain name that represents your business can make a big difference between getting lost in the web cyberspace and creating a successful online or web presence.
Here’s the importance of domain names:
- Add Credibility to a Small Business: Having your own domain name for your small business makes your company look big and professional. Registering an appropriate domain name would help you gain the trust and confidence of consumers that will avail your products or services.
- Reflects Forward-thinking: Be a part of the digital revolution by having your own business domain name. This will boost your branding and stay ahead of your competitors.
- Attract Walk-in business: Registering a domain name that matches your business would be greatly beneficial, drawing the attention of web surfers who are searching that topic.
- Brand Building: Domain names make it easier for customers to remember your business, especially if your domain name matches your business or company name. Hence, boosting your sales for your business.
Now, you’re already knowledgeable about the number of websites in the world. With millions of them, it’s crucial to have a unique domain name that will best represent a business. Whether you’re planning to create your own website for your business or set up one for personal use, knowing the facts would definitely help you make an informed choice, most especially when it comes to domain creation and registration.