We just had a client inquire as to exactly what happens when they remove a license from a Microsoft Office 365 user because that user has left the company and we thought you might be interested to know too so here’s the answer.
What Happens To Email & OneDrive Data After The Microsoft 365 License is Removed?
After a license has been removed from a user:
- their email and OneDrive into a cloud recycle bin as a ‘soft delete’ for 30 days, after which it will be permanently deleted
- if email is required to be maintained for legal or historical reference, Microsoft allows you, to convert their mail to what’s called a ‘shared mailbox’ and you can have as many as you want
- shared mailboxes are completely free and you can have an unlimited number of them
- A shared mailbox can be accessed by other people in the company, like yourself, but cannot send mail
- This is an extremely common procedure
- The license immediately make the license available for some else
- The license could be immediately canceled (to stop paying for that license) at the next billing cycle which for some companies is monthly and other companies is annual
- Many companies choose annual licensing because it’s about 15% less expensive than the monthly
How To Remove A Microsoft Office 365 License From a User
It is easy to remove a Microsoft Office 365 License:
- Surf to https://portal.office.com and sign in
- Note that you muse be a Microsoft Office 365 “Administrator” to make licensing changes
- Click the ADMIN icon in the bottom of the left rail.
- Click on USERS in the left rail
- Click ACTIVE USERS
- Click on the user that you’re interested in
- Click on LICENSES AND APPS at the top right
- Remove the check mark from Office 365
- Click the SAVE CHANGES button
- Complete the wizard asking you what you want to do with the data and email