If you just cannot remove a printer by:
- right clicking on a printer and find that you see nothing but hour glass
- you get to REMOVE DEVICE but it will not actually delete
- you have tried removing in PRINTER MANAGEMENT (yes, this is built into every version of Windows Vista, 7 and 8)
you definitely will be able to delete all your printers, queues and drivers by:
- Reboot into SAFEMODE
- Save your ‘print processors’ by copying C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINT PROCS to a safe location like your desktop
- Delete EVERYTHING inside C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\
- If you delete the SPOOL folder itself, just recreate it, otherwise the print spooler will not start.
- Reboot into normal mode
- Copy the WINPRINT.DLL (and others if you are sure they are not the problem) from step 2 above to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINT PROCS
- Reinstall your printers
I would then use PRINT MANAGEMENT tool to make sure all is well.
If you then see a PRINT PROCESSOR DOES NOT EXIST error when attempting to install printers you likely skipped steps 2 and/or 5 above but fortunately we have an easy fix for this: https://www.urtech.ca/2014/03/solved-cannot-install-printer-the-print-processor-does-not-exist/