SOLVED: Video: How to Disable the Store in Windows 10 Pro Using Group Policy GPO

As you likely have found the Group Policy to disable the store (see below) only works with Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise , and Windows 10 Enterprise and Education.  This means it does NOT work on Windows 10 Pro, which is super annoying.

USER CONFIGURATION > ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES > WINDOWS COMPONENTS > STORE  > TURN OFF THE STORE APPLICATION

The insane suggestion I had received from Microsoft Partner Support a few months ago was to “simply” delete the STORE application files from every profile on every PC and then hope that Microsoft does not update the STORE in the future, which would reinstall it under a slightly different path.Disable-Store-in-Windows-10-Pro-Using-Group-Policy-GPO_sm

After MANY hours of banging on this problem I found a simple GPO to will stop the STORE.  Software Restriction Policies has worked well:

COMPUTER CONFIGURATION > POLICIES > WINDOWS SETTINGS > SECRURITY SETTINGS > SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICIES >

At this point you will likely have to right click and select NEW or CREATE to populate this GPO.

> ADDITIONAL RULES  > right click and create a rule that disallows %programfiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore*

It is VERY important to use the ‘*’ wildcard in this path because Microsoft will change the path as they update the STORE application over the coming years.

Comments

1. cimmay February 26, 2018 at 1:13 pm

What kind of rule? There are at least 4 types.

Ian Matthews March 15, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I am sorry, but I don’t understand the question. The video shows the process quite well. If you provide more explanation of the question, we WILL try to help 🙂

• Matt April 13, 2018 at 11:01 am

I’m not cimmay, but I’m pretty sure that poster is wanting to know what kind of rule: Certificate Rule, Hash Rule, Network Zone Rule, or Path Rule. This isn’t shown in the video. In fact, the video doesn’t show the process at all. It begins with the rule already created.

2. Steve February 20, 2018 at 8:26 pm

isn’t working for me – I know, old thread… anybody have another solution or have an idea why it might not work?
    Windows 10 Pro 1709

3. Arnaud MUNCK December 14, 2017 at 5:52 am

Thank you!! Nice work!

4. roh it November 28, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Thanks heaps Mate! I know it’s an old post but wanted to let you know that this works perfectly fine on Windows 10 Pro v1709 as well. This just disables the Windows Store app but let’s you run the already installed Trusted Store apps like Calculator, Photo, Mail, Calendar, etc.

• Steve February 20, 2018 at 8:27 pm

I’ve been unable to get it to work in mine.

is there something I’m missing?

5. aj November 20, 2017 at 10:35 am

Worked great! Fantastic find and nice work!

6. Dc July 23, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Hey Ian,

Sent you an email about this but has this been causing the calculator / and store to be removed as well? I’ve been seeing this in my tests.

Thanks!

7. Joseph Jones June 22, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Worked like a champ on a Win 10 Pro in my educational environment.

8. Saul March 14, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Thanks, but I tried this and it won’t work on the rest of the users. Any idea?

Ian Matthews March 20, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Hi Saul; This should apply to all users assuming the policy is applied to them or the machine. Did you make sure the wildcard “*” is at the end of %programfiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore* ?

9. Jordan November 4, 2016 at 10:46 am

Is there a way to do this if you are not connected to a corporate network but still use 10 Pro? I don’t even have the option to create policies under the Computer Configuration tab.

10. Shawn October 29, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Does this still work? I attempted as a user policy and the store still seems to work. I am running 10 Pro v 1607.

Thanks

Ian Matthews November 5, 2016 at 11:22 am

I have not tried it on 1607 but I would be a bit surprised if it does not work

11. sam h June 22, 2016 at 10:29 pm

can this be reverted back?

Ian Matthews June 26, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Definitely. Just remove or disable the GPO.

12. Squuiid June 6, 2016 at 6:27 am

If you want an exception to this create a separate AD container with a new SRP, using the specific folder name as unrestricted. You can’t unrestrict using wildcards(*).

In my instance the unrestrict policy is for:

%programfiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11602.1.26.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

This will obviously change as the store version is updated. You can find the current version by typing in powershell:
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore*

13. Akbar June 1, 2016 at 2:16 am

Thank you very much, it’s safe me to disabled the store for windows 10 pro. can i reblog this? and of course I will give the source of the article.

Ian Matthews June 2, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Sure. If you can provide a link back to my site then you can reblog it.

Have a good one 🙂

14. R May 23, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Does this actually stop things like store downloading updates? We’ve had a problem where a few updates go into a recurring loop and download 50gb/day for no result possibly due to some sort of compatibility with a web proxy like this MS technet post: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e9531028-4bfe-40c0-af5c-8873c42b6bae/massive-download?forum=win10itprogeneral

Ian Matthews May 29, 2016 at 11:10 am

That is an excellent question and I think the answer is yes. I have not tested this but from my experience the updates only come down when the STORE is running sooooo unless I missed something, this should kill the updates.